Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Gator-Rum!


I had a college moment this weekend. Not in an academic sense, mind you…anybody who knows me, knows that my college stories do NOT start with “This one time, while I was taking my Sociology final…” They start with phrases like “So there I was, hanging from the ceiling in bubble wrap, while the freshman dance squad chanted and circled below me, spraying whip cream and doing shots off of each other’s breasts…” (reflective moment)

Anyway…I had a college moment this weekend. We were having the usual Capitan Morgan drinkapalooza weekend evening when suddenly, and without warning, we found ourselves completely out of anything closely resembling an adequate mixer. The Coke was empty, and the Sprite had about a swallow left in it. Crap. So, being the inventive and creative soul that I am, I began the process of searching through the refrigerator for a suitable mixer substitute. My choices were as follows: water, apple juice, Gatorade, or pickle juice. Since pickle juice didn’t seem like a viable option, I chose to go with the Riptide Rush flavored Gatorade as my official mixer of the evening. Are you ready for a shocker? It was actually….good.

I couldn’t believe it, myself. I’m not sure how it worked, or what chemical process was involved, but the Gatorade actually blended out the taste of the rum, almost completely. You could still smell the alcohol, so you knew it was in there…but you couldn’t taste it. Needless to say, this discovery induced warm fuzzy feelings within me, and a need to shout “EUREKA!” to the heavens. While drinking my new Gator-rum, I wondered if I had stumbled across a way to help curb hangovers? I mean, Gatorade is the best drink to have while you have a hangover, since it helps to replace lost electrolytes…so it would seem logical, that if you drank Gatorade WHILE you drank alcohol, you could even yourself out, and balance within your body would be restored. Right?

It’s worth experimenting with, again. I shall keep you informed on future developments.

14 comments:

PJ said...

So...did you have a hangover the next day? How curious...

Shanshu said...

I did NOT have a hangover, actually! I even got up at 6:00, got ready for work, and had time to watch some TV and eat cereal before I left. 100% hangover free, actually.

More tests are needed, to be sure about this new theory, however. More to come.

da buttah said...

gatorade and rum. tried that. lurched my guts out after that.

perhaps it was the 15 shots of whisky i had before that though

anyway! thanks for the comment on my blog. i'm also a fellow movie junkie :)

Shanshu said...

15 shots would tend to cause some bad stomach events...but the Gatorade might have had something to do with that, also.

I will be curious to see what happens, when I drink that all night, instead of just a few drinks.

Bashful Blue said...

Once mixed Gatorade with Vodka...not pretty.

da buttah said...

let me know how the experiment goes.

i'll let you know how many jolly rancher martini's i can get for free, and down, before i seek guidance from the porcelaine god.

and thanks for the link! i'll return the favor as soon as i find myself back at work :)

Callie said...

Somehow, I don't think Gatoraid would appreciate the endorsement. LOL.

Gonna have to try that one. Maybe this weekend. As I rarely get hangovers anyway, I won't be able to report on THAT aspect of it. But, I'll let you know if I like the concoction.

Shanshu said...

A patent is not a bad idea....although I'm guessing that callie is right; Gatorade won't really endorse that new idea.

But you never know...

da buttah said...

why wouldn't they? red bull jumped on the red bull and vodka thing. i mean they don't come pre-packaged, but they have allowed red bull to become synonomous with vodka.....no?

and if ya need a patent, let me know..i'm a patent god! (okay i'm not..but, i've done enough to be proficient)

Shanshu said...

Good to know that you are there for my patent needs! Very comforting. It's true that Red Bull did jump on that wagon...perhaps the idea isn't so crazy!

Maybe this could be my flugelbinder!

Penny said...

If you can't drink Gator-rum all night, perhaps just make it your drink of choice in the last hour or so of consciousness?

Maybe just one or two (or five) would clear the hangover blues.

Shanshu said...

Not a bad plan, at all. It'll be like having that glass of water before bed...except it'll have rum in it!

Brilliant!

Anonymous said...

I tried that once... I´ve got the one liter bottle, drank the half to make room for the rum (white rum), then I filled the thing with rum and drank it in four sips (not sequential of course), it didn't got me drunk right away, but 15-minutes later... damn... I spent like half an hour out seeing myself in third person... and... not hangover at all the next day. I used the lemon ice gatorade (the transparent one) as it has a stronger citric flavor.

Ryan said...

Gatorade and Everclear 190 proof is always fun. No hangover and you get destroyed very very fast. Drank that all freshman year of college never had a single hangover or vomiting experience.