Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Here Comes the Pope

So, it has been decided. The Catholic church now has a new spiritual leader, elected through Conclave in a burst of white smokey delight. Pope Benedict XVI addressed the crowd below him from his new Pope balcony in St. Peter's Square, as they cheered and waved and gave thanks to God for a successful election....or whatever the official term for it is, in Vatican City.

The new pope's real name is Joseph Ratzinger from Germany, and he has recently celebrated his 79th birthday. Apparantly for the Catholic church, popes get better with age, as does the vino.

The conclave process only took 2 days, which tells me that most of the cardinals who were voting already had a pretty good idea who would be the next pontiff, so I guess that means Benedict XVI was a good choice? I really have no idea, as I am not Catholic. The knowledge that I have for Catholisim is based largely from movies and my Catholic girlfriend. Other than that, I'm in the dark. Unless of course, you count the the fact that I've read The DaVinci Code before? Does that count? I think that should count.


Well, congratulations to the new Pope! I have to admit, it was exciting to witness the historical aspect of the election process...I wonder if my kids will study this in school, or something? THen they can run over to me as I read the paper and say, "Daddy! Daddy! Tell us about how Benedict XVI was elected!".

Ahhh...good times.

No comments: